Monday, October 26, 2009

Only 150 extra miles and an hour longer of your time


It has been all over the news, the plane that flew 150 miles past their destination of Minneapolis airport. According to the MSN article, Richard Cole and Timothy Cheney were the two pilots who claim to have been on their laptops and became distracted by looking at their schedules. They made it perfectly clear that they did not fall asleep.
It is hard to believe that they lost track of time for a whole hour, even if they were distracted an hour is a long time. It is very scary that they were out of contact for more than an hour with the airline. It is kind of sad that they did not even realize it until a flight attendant mentioned something. How long do you think it would have taken them to realize that they had past their destination? At least the people traveling got their money’s worth. I think it is always nice when the pilots come on the intercom system of the plane and give updates, but obviously that was not a top priority for these pilots. Riders on the plane you think would be wondering what was taking so long, because if you were planning on getting to your destination at a certain time and it was an hour later you would be wondering what was wrong.
Both pilots seem to have a clear record as of flying in the past and are said to be experienced according to their experiences. They were obviously caught not doing their job and it makes you wonder how many times they have been on their laptops on previous flights to this one. It is hard to determine how harsh of a punishment to give them. They were not doing their job, but they were flying the plane just fine to keep it going about 150 miles past their destination landing. The pilots should be punished in some way for not monitoring any of the messages sent from the airlines or other aircrafts. There should be no reason for flying over a city of destination. If I were a passenger on that flight, I would be very thankful to be alive and kind of mad for what happened. I am sure the pilots were very sorry and did not have much to say because they knew they were in the wrong. What are your thoughts about this situation? Do you think the pilots should remain suspended for a longer period of time or have their license taken away?

5 comments:

  1. I always try not to judge a situation where I am not sure of all the facts, but this time I do have a strong opinion. I believe that the pilots should lose their licenses; a mere suspension does not cover the magnitude of this offense. These pilots are paid to fly a plane from one airport to another. They are not paid to play on their laptops. What would your boss do if he/she walked into your work area and saw you playing on a laptop while you’re supposed to be typing memos, flipping burgers, or doing whatever it is that’s in your job description? To compound the fact that they weren’t doing what they are paid to do, their inattention could have cost people’s lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pilots were in charge of a large aircraft filled with travelers, and they weren't giving their full attention to their job. That is dangerous, to say the least. Their licenses should be suspended. Since this is their first offense, they shouldn't get them completely revoked. Plus, nobody really knows what was going on in the cockpit. An hour past their destination? You'd think the pilots would have noticed that. Were there other factors at work here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsi,

    I heard about this from my roommate! Their excuses sound ridiculous! I have lost track of time on my laptop too, but not while I’m driving a plane! Pardon my language, but what the hell are they doing on their laptops, while they fly a plane!?! I agree that the pilots should be suspended. I absolutely hate flying and hearing stories like this one do not help me one bit. I wonder how many people missed their connecting flights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be so mad if I was on this flight. I hate riding on planes because my legs are so long. I think I would have brought it up to a flight attendant when we have been on the plane past the ETA. I can't believe that a professional pilot would go that far past the destination. I hope that everyone got a lot of money in vouchers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am guessing there must have been some type of auto guidance system that had them going in the correct direction. The people on this plane are very lucky that they did not come across another aircraft as these pilots were not paying attention. There are certain professions, pilots and doctors among them, that require for the public safety that mistakes can not be made. These people deserved the punishment that they received.

    ReplyDelete